Sunday, October 2, 2011

My Love Affair With Food

As is the case with many cultures eating is just more than nurishment for the body, it often serves a an opportunity to socialize, discuss business, and unfortuntely a stress reliever. As a child I can remember whenever there was a stressful moment it was all fixed by settling into a good meal. For me food became a quick fix a way of calming my nerves.  Iven today when I am going through tough times I automatically get hungry.

Now I know that my poor eating habits can not be blamed on my upbringing because no one else in my immediately family seems to have this problem.  It is my belief that we all find stress relievers be it drugs, alchohol, sex, overworking, or .....FOOD! I remember being nervous about my freshman year in high school and I couldnt wait for lunch, when my grades were bad in college I would go to the local quick trip near my dorm every night, when I got engaged i ate, when I got fired from a job my mother had a fried chicken dinner waiting on me that evening, when I seperated from my ex I took myself to dinner to relax, the day of my divorce I went to lunch immediately, when it became necessary to change my church home I cozied up to the nearest Olive Garden.

Uneasy times for me is a trigger for eating. It has taken me a long time to realize this and it is a battle that I deal with every day but I have learned and continue to learn how to make adjustments. Because eating out really is a social opportunity for me, I really strive to make better choices when I'm out, I have started stocking my kitchen with better food choices, i keep my refrigerator stocked with bottled water and juices instead of soda pop. I have recently began ""eating clean" , daily exercise has become a huge part of my life, and I try to surround myself with like minded people that keep me motivated! While these changes continue to be a struggle for me I pray every day for the strength to have power over this battle in my life. Will talk about this more later but it is time for my daily walk! See you next time

1 comment:

  1. This is definitely a turning point in your journey. Emotional eating is powerful, but once you recognize it and learn to relieve stress/celebrate in other ways, you've WON!

    ReplyDelete